Monday, September 29, 2008

Reflection #3

I liked the two readings for class this week. I found it interesting that even though both were not written recently, they both had really good points about teaching. I really liked how Rousseau talks about how a child needs to be a child, and we should not try to reason with them. A child can't reason like and adult can, and we are not teaching them if we are doing that, because they will not be able to understand. I also really liked that at the end he says that his 'Emile' may not be great at one thing, but he will be better at another. I believe that it is important to focus on the strengths students have, so they know that they are good at something, and we could use their strengths to improve their weaknesses. The thing I liked the most about St Augustine was the way he said to teach. if you notice a student is bored or already knows the subject just touch on it, or do something to make them interested. I also like that he talked about how if we don't teach in the same peaceful environment that we learn in, we really can't expect the students to pick it up as easily.

No comments: