Wednesday, October 7, 2009

late blog for last week-morning meetings

I know that I am most likely posting this to late to get credit for last week, but I still want to blog about how I felt about the morning meeting presentation we got. I thought morning meetings sounded neat before, but I was not sure I would have used them consistently the way that they are supposed to be used, but that presentation really inspired me to want to use them, and use them in the best way possible when I have a classroom. I did not realize how it can really create a community, a wonderful learning environment that really should be essential for the classroom. I love the idea of eliminating most of the disciplinary problems if morning meeting is done correctly, that you can really implement the core into it with a simple minute or two, like she did with literacy, and with math but made it fun. The thing that I love about it most is the community and safe environment it can create among the students. If the students can understand each other and learn more about each other, it can really eliminate a lot of hurt that happens in elementary schools, because students can be really mean without realizing it. I feel like if I had had a class that did morning meetings like she presented it would have made a huge difference with me, because I was really low on the totem pole socially and I got teased mercilessly. I want to be able to make a difference in students lives like that, that is the whole reason I wanted to become a teacher, to make a difference in young lives, and I can really see how morning meetings can make a difference. thanks Dr. P, ( I think your the only one who reads this particular blog, so I hope you don't mind me writing to you :) ) for bringing her in and letting us know about morning meetings.